Tackling Child Poverty: The Way Forward 2021
Thursday, May 06, 2021
09:00 AM - 04:00 PM
There are an estimated 14.3 million people living in poverty in the UK today, of which 4.8 million are children which is 22% of children. The Child Poverty Rate stands at 34% - significantly above the poverty rate for the whole population.
Around 600,000 more children are living in relative poverty compared to eight years ago - a number that is projected to increase markedly as a result of Covid-19, the Social Mobility Commission has warned.
Only 26.6% of children eligible for Free School Meals receive five good GCSEs including English and mathematics, compared with 54.2% of non-free school meals pupils, giving them significantly poorer life chances into adulthood.
Child poverty is estimated to cost the economy £13 billion annually and cost the public sector £12 billion annually.
This event brings together Government, public sector and voluntary sector agencies to discuss the pertinent issues relating to addressing child poverty. It examines a comprehensive range of issues such as housing, food poverty, education and health and the challenges they face in these unprecedented times.
Agenda Content and Learning Outcomes
- Understand the impact of Covid-19 on low-income families and children
- Learn of potential funding for the child health workforce to meet demand and ensure that children and young people receive the best possible care
- Examine the relationship between early childhood service quality, affordability and accessibility and poverty
- Examine modes of building relationships with public sector partners and local community and voluntary sector organisations
- Assess the relationship between early childhood service quality, affordability and accessibility and poverty
- Discover the impact of poverty on a child’s experience of school and ability to engage in learning and behaviour: paying for essentials; access to computers and the internet and school costs
- Examine the roles played by advice services, food banks and other forms of emergency provision
- Gain an understanding of the problems for homeless children and children living in overcrowded and unfit housing
- Hear of long-lasting policy measures to ensure parents and children have access to a healthy diet
- Alison Garnham, Chief Executive, Child Poverty Action Group
- Polly Neate, Chief Executive, Shelter
- Anna Taylor, Executive Director, The Food Foundation
- Jo Revill, Chief Executive Officer, Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH)
Benefits of Attending
- Meet other like-minded professionals and develop new, beneficial connections
- Through the learning opportunities and sharing of best practice, you will be able to implement improvements in your workplace
- Impact the wider agenda and be part of future planning
- Be part of organisations that continue to evolve, improve and innovate
- Learn how to make the best use of key products and services that can help transform your organisational capabilities
Tackling Child Poverty: The Way Forward 2021 brings together senior industry leaders from across the children services industry, Government, academia and the wider public sector to hear the latest policy updates and address the challenges facing the sector in these unprecedented times.
Payment via Invoice
If you would like to be invoiced for this event please select the 'Invoice' ticket option and we will be in touch to arrange payment. Please note, the event is not free if you choose to pay via invoice.
For any general enquiries, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 02045309708.
If you are interested in sponsoring this event, please get in touch via email@example.com.
If you would like to attend the event and are working within the private sector please get in touch to discuss your options via firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information on The Institute of Government & Public Policy see: https://www.uel.ac.uk/about/school-of-business-and-law/institute-of-government-public-policy
Ticket Sales Ended
No tickets are available for this event.